Monday, August 31, 2009

The Rise of the Insult Continued-- (prequel to the post " Looking at Society Through Language: The Raw Truth of What Language Can Reveal")

So...
When John tells James he doesn't want to go out and hang out with his friends because he is tired he is immediately called gay?
What does that even have to do with being gay?
So I wiki-ed the term gay and insult...
"a new, pejorative use became prevalent in some parts of the world. In the UK, U.S., and Australia, this connotation, among younger generations of speakers, has a derisive meaning equivalent to rubbish or stupid (as in "That's so gay.")."

Is this wrong?
This use of a term in a way that denotes it as an insult?
I think so. If the roles were switched and the term straight was used as an insult I too would feel insulted.
Maybe this is a comment on our society's acceptance? When our society truly extinguishes things such as this we will be truly an equal (or at least on our way there) nation. An accepting nation. Looking at society through the way it speaks is an interesting and revealing concept and may be the focus for my next post.

From now on I vow to call people out on things such as this and encourage others to call me out on things such as this.. not that anyone reads this or if you do you probably don't know me.
(But trust me I won't do it)

Let Equality Rule! Don't let the fear of what is different spread inequality and nonacceptance through our world.

-Joel

No comments:

Post a Comment